Despite all of the great plus size clothing options available today, we still have a ways to go when it comes to diversity of style. Thank goodness accessories exist. When my festival outfit is not quite right, I can count on accessories to take me from basic to bohemian goddess.
During festival season, it can be SO hard to find something to wear due to slim pickings. Festival style seems to be the one area that fatshion hasn’t really dared to go. Maybe it’s because brands still don’t know what to do with a fat girl that wants to show some skin. Maybe it’s because brands think we’re still trying to hide our bodies rather than be seen. Either way, it doesn’t change the fact that curvy women enjoy music festivals and are not trying to hide under layers of billowy fabric. I do love a good kimono though!
These bohemian accessories will help you step up your festival fashion game!
Unlike clothing, a necklace, shoes, and a bag are always just your size. The following accessories are fatshionista tested and stylist approved for the fat festival goer.
Kimonos are a boho girl’s BFF! Not only do they protect your shoulders from the elements (hello, hot desert sun!). They’re perfect for cute pictures of you twirling around to the music.
View this post on Instagram
I am overwhelmed with joy to be back at @electric_forest today, shooting for a few of the best festival vendors in the game- I have been fans of these brands for a long time- and I am so honored by the fact that I get to represent them through imagery and wearing their designs. The brands I work with have gone out of their way to fit my often challenging to dress body type- and have made me proud of this human form that I have trouble accepting. This is why we need small businesses and small designers. We need this intention in what we wear- after all it represents the soul. 😏 wearing @warriorwithindesigns x @jumbieart x @eclecticawakening x @parissinclair ✨ photo by @thestegro
Recreate the look with these Cute Kimonos:
- Black Lace Trim Constellation Kimono Plus Size (Sheer black with constellations and crescent moons)
- Daniel Rainn Kimono Duster Jacket (lightweight and sheer)
- Navy Floral Kimono – Plus Too (lightweight duster length)
Ozzy Osbourne was on to something with his iconic circle sunglasses. Eyes are extremely sensitive to sun, so don’t be caught at a festival without them.
Recreate the look with these Circular Sunnies:
- zeroUV – Geometric Double Crossbar Ultra Slim Arms Flat Lens Octagon Sunglasses
- PRIVÉ REVAUX “The Artist” (Pink)
- Metal Rimmed Round Sunglasses Mirrored Flat Geometric Lens
- Geometric Prism Rainbow Kaleidoscope Glasses
- Kaleidoscope Glasses Festival Geometric Sunglasses by Neartime (Multicolor)
I try to avoid metal necklaces during the hot months and recently discovered bolo ties. Obviously, I’m obsessed.
Recreate the look with these Bolo Ties:
- Rideaway Western Style Cowboy Antique Silver Bolo Tie
- Oval Blue Dragon Egg Jewelry Necklace Choker (Blue)
- Western Pewter Wolf Head Bolo Tie
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve bought a bag online to find that the strap is so short that it looks like I’m wearing a fanny pack. A mini backpack that can hold your chapstick and allow you to dance hands-free is a-ok in my book.
Recreate the look with these Mini backpacks:
- Holographic Laser Leather Mini Backpack
- Cat Back Pack with Metallic Face
- Nevenka Backpack Shoulder Bags (GRAY)
- Fringe Tassel Backpack Casual Mini Travel Hobo Bag
Goodbye flower crowns, crystals are taking over. Yup, that’s right — crystal crowns are the headpiece that all boho queens were born to wear.
Recreate the look with these Crystal Crowns:
- Purple Crystal Crown Tiara Headpiece
- GRACEART Raw Crystal Quartz Tiara Mermaid Crown Headband
- Wiipu Luxury Blue Crystal Royal Headpiece Tiara Rhinestone Crown
Flower Child Earrings
Feathers, pendants and tassels, these earrings will bring all of the attention to the best part of you, your face.
Recreate the look with these Bohemian Earrings:
- Sundear Vintage Spiral Earrings
- MAIDIEN Bohemian Handmade Vintage Feather Long Drop Earrings Dangle
- idealway Bohemian Colorful Pom Tassel Colorful Dangle Earrings
Stylish Sun Hats
I can’t say it enough: sun protection is everything. Skin cancer isn’t sexy. Top off your festival look with a sunscreen and a sun hat that is not only useful but unique.
Recreate the look with these Stylish Sun Hats:
- Wool Wide Brim Porkpie Fedora Hat w/Simple Band Accent – Black
- Wide Brim UPF 50+ Sun Protective Straw Hat w/Lanyard
- Wide Brim Vintage Wool Panama Hat with Belt (Beige, One Size)
- Emerald Green Wool Felt Flat Crown Bolero Hat – Wide Brim
After the first day of the festival, you’re going to wish you had something for you and your crew to sit on. Pack a cute tapestry or towel to host impromptu picnics between sets.
Get these Trendy Towels/Tapestries:
- Blue Tapestry Wall Hanging Mandala (I have this one)
- Psychedelic Tapestry Moon and Sun with Many Fractal Faces
- Tapestry Wall Hanging Palm Tree Leaves
There’s a wealth of inspiration for style, art, and life at music festivals. But whether you’re headed to Coachella or opting for No-chella, have fun with boho style this season.